Jacqueline O'Berry PhD
Redondo Beach CA Therapist / Psychologist
Jacqueline O'Berry has 20plus years of professional experience in dealing with the psychological aspect of chronic diseases (cancer, diabetes, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, arthritis); training acquired while working for four years as a Psychologist for the UCLA Department of Medicine, spending three of those years at the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. Collaboration with surgeons, oncologists and physicians in the treatment of the patients with multidisciplinary approach.
For starter, I was a student at U.C.L.A.on a 3 year scholarship as doctoral student. I ran out of money before my dissertation was finished. To support myself, I worked as a Research Assistant for the Department of Medicine for one year with diabetic patients. Then, when the dissertation was about done, I was hired full-time as a Psychologist by the Department of Medicine, as a Project Director on the research of the psychological effects of first diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer patients.
In May, 1985, I obtained my Doctoral degree in Psychology. In 1986, I took the Psychology Board exam with the State of California and in March, 1987, I was a Licensed Psychologist in the State of California. I am very grateful to U.C.L.A. for having opened their doors and include me not only as a student but, as part of their staff, I learned hypnosis, couple therapy, sex therapy, behavioral techniques later called CBT, and other valuable trainings.During the 2o years of private practice, I continued learning for my patients, with them, when their needs were not so common, I devoted myself to give them the proper help, whatever it took on my end as time, additional training, and consult with specialists.
Areas of Expertise:
- Assessment and treatment of Depression and Affective Disorders developed as a specialty; use of cognitive restructuring and psychotherapy of attachment dysfunctions for children, adolescents and adults. Inpatient and outpatient treatment.
- Hypnotherapy - including Regression Hypnosis, Guided Imagery and Stress Management Techniques for cancer patients going through treatment but also in the treatment of past traumatic experience, e.g. sexual and emotional abuse; use of Clinical Hypnosis for the treatment of Anxiety Disorders.
- Individual and Couple Psychotherapy; brief psychotherapy and psychodynamic psychotherapy; cognitive restructuring and behavior modification.
- Psychotherapy for sexual dysfunctions and deviations, Battered Wife Syndrome and sexual abuse; training acquired at the UCLA-NPI Human Sexuality Program.
- Women's issues, intertility, post-abortion depression, post-partum depression.
- Lesbian / gay issues.
- Work related stress and conflicts.
- Women support group and individual psychotherapy for co-dependency, assertiveness, identity and self-esteem issues.
- Expert witness in sexual harassment cases.
- Depression Disorders
- Bipolar Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attention Deficit
- Hyperactivity Disorder
- Behavior Modification Therapy
- Brief Therapy
- Child Therapy
- Child Therapy (5 years and younger)
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic / Terminal Illness (Cancer)
- Cognitive Therapy
- Critical Incident
- Stress Management
- Disability Treatment
- Adolescent (13-17)
- Adult (18-64)
- Children (6-12)
- Geriatric (65+)